On a train to Chiang Mai, a northern provence of Thailand-air conditioned 2nd class, or so the ticket says. The train jostling back and forth like a drunk making his walk home after a whiskey binge. The air conditioning has been on twice in the past 4 hours- the two times we stopped, I think it is to fool those who are joining this clumsy ass train on its 12 hour voyage to cooler temperatures and an escape from the noise and Bangkokness of Bangkok.
There are rotating fans in the aisles, oscillating just enough to keep us alive. I can't complain, it's a beautiful way to travel. Over arching golden Buddahs in the mountains, rice fields-several on fire for some strange reason or at least emanating smoke like
the Vietnam war movies I'd seen growing up.
It truly is beautiful though, it is good to travel, not knowing where you might end up doing or living or loving in the coming weeks- it's simply exhilarating. This train is dubbed a "Diesel Express Train", in Thai. "Express" must mean something a bit different than the definition of Express in America, as we are currently stopped as I type this.
I've been reading the Kite Runner and it's inspired me to write a little bit. The fields we have been passing have been flooded. On the phone I spoke with the owner of a Guesthouse, which is like a hostel, and she said, "Tell everyone in Bangkok that it's RAINING in Chiang Mai, It's Raining in Chiang MAI!". I don't know why, but the way she said it was like a punch-line to a joke, but from the looks of things in these remote areas, there was no joke.
I was told a lot of Taxi drivers in Thailand were displaced farmer's coming off of a failed crop yield and it makes me wonder, looking out the windows of this drunken train, wether the fates of the villagers knee deep in water will be collecting baht from tourists in Bangkok.
Either way, we are a third of the way done with our train ride and Maris is passed out, sweaty. The seats are comfortable and their are a lot of Expats on Train number 9 to Chiang Mai, so hopefully we can make some new friends come 830 PM Thai time when we hop off the train to Chiang Mai.
_Brock


No comments:
Post a Comment