After a lifetime on a train we got into Chiang Mai around 8:30 and took a pickup truck a.k.a Saeng Teaow to a street called Moon Huang were we found our first digs at a place called the "Top Nort Guesthouse", I am guessing the "H" was stolen.
We stayed in and relaxed, after that hellish train ride, it was totally necessary.
The next morning I realized I immediately loved Chiang Mai. It is not as humid here as it is in Bangkok, It's not NEARLY as polluted or noisy. Congestion is definitely far more bearable here than in Bangkok. We figured the roads here were as good for learning to drive a motorbike (scooter). So I learned after my first 15 minutes of driving in between businesses and homes in the back alleys. After I felt comfortable enough, we headed for the mountains.
NOTE: Helmets.
After an ass numbing 45 minute ride up the windy mountain roads we arrived at Wat Phrae Suthep, a wat tucked in the mountains with maybe the most spectacular view I have ever seen in my life. First of all we had to hike up a dragon lined set of at least 500 steps to reach the wat, very Kung Fuish.
We removed our shoes and paced the wat. It was very beautiful, kids were putting on a show out front, musicians played ancient Thai instruments, then we turned the corner to the best view I have ever seen.
That's clouds in the distance. Felt like heaven.
I went out later that night with a pair of Seattle-ites we met in the pick-up truck on the way to our guesthouse, they stayed at the same place we did. Really nice guys- so anyhow the two guys and I go to a Muay Thai kickboxing match. It was awesome! It had the feel of an underground bloodsport type thing from a Van-Damme movie, but it wasn't trashy or sketchy, you could tell there was a sense of respect for the fighters and the sport- HOWEVER we were betting. I always bet the underdog and lost 300 baht in 3 fights (roughly 9 dollars), but the last bet I made was a good one and I won my money back and left on a good note.
Woke up this morning a bit hungover, but shortly after waking, found the best cure for a hangover is a motorbike ride through the mountains.
They have every kind of food you can imagine, right now we are eating french fries, this morning we have the best banana pancakes I have ever had in my life and this afternoon we ate in a small village/square in the mountains on the back patio of an old womans house, pad thai and stir fry veggies.
This is what I had for lunch yesterday. 30 baht, thats like 80 cents and I bet it tastes better than anything any of you people ate yesterday MUAHAHAHA, sorry.


Brock,
ReplyDeleteI just love your blog! You are a very good writer. Hey, I found two of your CDs from the fireworks party. Do you want me to send them to you? Tell Maris I said hello! Be careful and have lots more fun!!
Looks fantastic!!!!!!!! Have fun and be safe. Love you babe.
ReplyDeleteMom