Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Kuala Lumpur- Our first visitor-Purple Party



So it has been a while since i have posted. A mixture of inspiration and dedication I suppose. But now I am back in the saddle.

First things first- We made another border run to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It is the New York City of Malaysia. With skyscrapers in all directions, people speaking fluent English, and Megamalls that would bring any grown woman to tears- Kuala Lumpur was a breathe of fresh air, literally. The air pollution was not in comparison with the terrible air we breathed in Bangkok and the city was immaculate. Not a piece of paper or gum on the ground. KL, as the locals call it, seemed to be a well kept city all around.

We arrived at the Marriott at night (thanks again to the kind Mr. Hickey), we ventured out to Little India. After 45 minutes of walking we came to find that it had been closed for hours and was more of a day thing. So we hoofed it back to our part of town, stopping off at a small Indian joint along the way. Now Malaysia is known for it's cheap, delicious Indian food. Maris and I have been on a clinically insane Indian food kick, so we were excited to test out their goods. We have a beer and a selection of vegetarian curries with homemade roti, which is actually naan (the bread used in indian food for scooping out the goopy goodness). It was quite delicious and left us in a state of borderline hallucinations we were so full. We wobbled back to the room and called it a night. So far so good, the food was great and extremely cheap. We also noticed everyone spoke good English, something we were no accustomed to.



The next day we took a trip to Little India, also known as Masdjek India. It was fantastic, I commented many times on the fact that I felt like we were actually in India. We ate a little green signed, packed to the brim, vegetarian Indian food joint. It didn't have a name, but if I were to be so lucky as to put a word on their green sign above their door, I would call it "Awesome Ass Food Place".




They stretched out a large green banana leaf on our table and commenced the plopping of food all over it, military mess style. No utensils and a small silver pitcher of water. It was mono y mono. My green leaf covered in rice, covered in two or three different sauces, accompanied to it's right by a small dab of cottage cheese. Next to that two or three different variations of vegetable masala and to top it off, a weird little fruit jello mold concoction and a burned to the crisp pepper for seasoning. We began working on our right hand pincher style dining experience. I first tried picking the food up and dropping it in my mouth like a skill crane dropping rocks on top of a pile. I found that left me choking more times then not, so I went with the scoop method, using my hand as a spoon. That worked great and it helped me absolutely inhale every bit of contents on that green leaf. Maris did the same. I can honestly say it was one of the best lunches I have ever had and without a doubt the most unique dining experience ever. It was all you can eat, so the waiters would come by with their little merry go round of drums filled with everything and slap more on your leaf. I called it a quits, Maris continued to feed the insatiable animal that lives in the pit of her belly.

It was a great rest of the trip. We met with a guy I knew. He showed us around. We had a couple drinks and called it a night. We spent the next two days shopping. Well, Maris spent the next two days shopping, I spent them moping sorrily behind her. There are at least 7 malls I know of in KL. Each are AT LEAST 4 stories high. I could live without shopping again in my life after this trip.

The last night we found a Sushi joint called Yoko's. It was quite tasty and a great way to end our experience in Malaysia. We commented many times on how we could live there. The opportunities there seem endless, much like NYC. So it's in the running, maybe.



We returned back home to our first visitor the one and only Dale Hickey. Two Hickeys in one household for two weeks! My lord. We spent a day at the beach in West Railay and have been eating at all our local favorite spots.

We then hosted a party. The Purple Party. Everyone had to dress in purple and they did. Bottom line is, it was fun. There was karaoke, drinks, talking, dancing- Everything a purple party should be.

I started work at the Sheraton last week. It has been all Orientation so far. This week I have been eating at every restaurant on the grounds (around 6). I am "observing" the associates (staff) so I can better teach them. They are paying for the food, so I am not complaining. The job is going to be great, I love the people I work with. So far so good.

It's been a wild month, we have had a lot of great experiences and we move in a week or so to a new place. Smaller and cheaper, it will suit us a lot better.

So, Til Next Time..

_Brock

9 comments:

  1. Happy to see an update here, was wondering about the new job, last update only indicated there had been an offer. Sounds like your trip across the border was great and also sounded much, much safer than the last one you described. I am really pleased to hear that things are going so well and that you are really taking advantage and enjoying life while you are still young. Good luck on your move to your new digs. --- Uncle Wade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so happy for you. Sounds like you are making the very most of your adventure. Keep up the good work! Wish I were there with you. Love you and Miss you. Aunt Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brock,

    I wish you would stop posting superimposed pictures of yourself into cool situations and places and pawning it off like you're really doing that. I know that you are really still in your Knoxville apt, sitting on your couch, writing this blog to make yourself feel better. WELL DONE SIR...YOU GOT US. Now come on out and lets go to the Pub...Im on your front porch knocking at the door. I've whittled a beautiful tabby cat out of wood as a friendly gesture. Hope you like it.

    Scott "The Surgeon" Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. that rack of mannequin heads is oddly reminiscent of the wig hall at j's mega mart. creepy. oooooooOOOOOOOooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Indian joint was able to plop down a plethora, or copious amount, or great bounty of food on the fake(you know they run them through a dishwasher and reuse them) banana leaf place mats, because the send the ol' man timmons out front to toss a net on the school of pigeons or doves(if you want to be a smart ass) after luring them in with the left overs from the fake banana leaf place mats. You see the indian joint realizes that they can keep the customers coming in if they plop down great bounties of mush with curry in it and the stupid americans will gawk about the amazing food. They can do that because they get their meet for free. everything is pigeo, just with different curry's on them and then they given different menu names. Brock, realize that the indians joints food costs are three dollars a week, mostly for a large sacks of currys because they send out ol' man timmons out the front door with a net and the dirty place mats for the doves to lick clean, and after the doves are chirping and happy because they are eating free food, which is actually their brethren, and ol man timmons drops a net on them after luring them in to lick the place mats. THats right, the doves there are caniballs brock, cannibals. THATS JUST GREAT! be careful and stick to american food and western ideals, don't be manipulated by anything that toby keith or sarah palin wouldn't endorse. Just come home and realize that culture is for the birds. Or maybe just pigeons. Doves

    _RVT, Mr. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, Mr. Wonderful has alot of time on his hands. How else would he think up some many witty, smartass remarks? It's been too long since we all sat around the Pres Pub and talked shit about the state of Georgia. Glad you had fun in KL. Where to next?

    PS I see a ghost in that cup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THERE IS A GHOST IN THAT CUP!!!!! its a cute lil' ghost. BENJAMMIN is right. And i'd love to sit around and talk shit about the state of Georgia with everyone. And it only took me 16 seconds to think up that witty post and type it. I love everyone, especially maris in a very plutonic way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see the ghost too! And yes that is a very witty post, but here's the thing...I'm the one that came up with that whole thing. I've been feeding Rob his material for years and finally it has gotten to its breaking point with me and I had to say something. Good Day.

    Scott Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scott, you can barely read let alone write for me. We all know I have memorized the Koran, the Bible, new and old testament, and the menu to outback steakhouse. Also we all know about How turned down a Rhodes Scholarship to concentrate on my nude modeling and writing my memoirs titled "Amongst the Gods while Against all Odds". Scott, I will crush you

    -Rob

    ReplyDelete

The Beginning

The Beginning

I am a 25 year old, southern Gent. I've been bothered by the fact that I've not traveled the world or even left the country, sans a trip to Cancun when I was in High School, but that was so muddled with tequila and strip clubs (sorry mom), that It doesn't REALLY count- that I have decided to take a adventure across the globe with the love of my life.

All I needed was a motivator, I needed someone to push me to travel and tell me, "Now's the time to do this, and we should totally do it". She came, she said those magic words and now we've got our bags packed, watching the calendar.
 
I had intentions on moving to New York City with my girlfriend. We are both really big into music and both have a spot in our hearts for the city. The opportunity escaped us after having our hopes deflated by the freaky rent prices there. We kind of ditched the New York idea immediately following a trip there and the mention of Thailand. 

We had always tossed around the idea of traveling together. I knew I wanted to travel with her. The first place she mentioned was Thailand, and after 20 minutes on Craigslist, checking out places and prices, we were sold (prob not the best way to chose where you want to spend your life, but that's just how it happened, and this is my story). Thailand it was.

So here we are 6 months later, a ticket for Bangkok dated August 4th in our hands. When people ask us how long we will be in Thailand, we say "Indefinitely". We are ready for a life change, something that might coax us into never coming back.

I have been dreaming of the sand and the crystal beaches since we mentioned the move, I have also had nightmares of being locked up and having to deal with a girlfriend who has been kidnapped by some crazy python handler, but those are just dreams.

The truth is, I have never been so excited and nervous at the same time for anything in my life. Right, now as I sit on my couch in South Knoxville looking out the window at the homemade bird feeders we made, on a hot Sunday afternoon, it blows my mind to think that in a little under two months, I might be laying in the sand with the tide riding up my mini bathing suit, with some concoction of a random Thai's design to sip in one hand, watching long-tailed boats float over the horizon, holding the love of my life in the other.

I expect to be shocked, excited, impressed, disappointed, lost, scared, found, happy, comfortable, uncomfortable, drunk, frightened, enlightened, ready to come home, ready to stay forever- all at different times on this journey.  

But one thing that will never change will be when I am an old man, maybe back in South Knoxville, sitting on my porch in a rocking chair with my old wife, widdling some crazy little thing old men on porches widdle, I will be able to look over to my wife and ask, "Remember that time we went into that local bar in Thailand and we saw that Thai Prostitute perform that "Ping-Pong show?" I am glad we shared that moment together."  

And she will say, "Brock that's disgusting" and then smile a little bit.


_Brock