



Matt and Kim- Grand 2009 An interesting album I just got a hold of the other day. I don't know much about the band. The lead singer has an interesting voice that can be trying at times, but it's very enthusiastic and uptempo. It's a mix of post punk/rock/electro-pop. "Good ole fashion Nightmare" Will be stuck in your head instantly. It's a fun album that I could see getting old quick, but has a few gems that are good for an early morning rise. AHH AHH AHH AHH AHH AHH AHH Good ole Fashioned Nightmare!
Woods-Songs of Shame A haunting, lo-fi neo psyche album that sounds like it was recorded on a play-school microphone in the basements of an abandoned mental hospital. Yesshh. It's a great album with beautiful, simple vocals and songs that sometimes stretch into the depths of what sounds like an ether binge. Very chill and sometimes creepy album. I love it.CSS-Donkey 2008 A foul-mouthed, drunken Brazilian super pop, girl group shows they still have it after an awesome freshman album Canter Ser Der Sexy. Donkey is more of a rock album than their first album, but there are signs of electricity in their Talking Head's, "This Must Be The Place" homage, Move. It's a great album with several catchy dance songs that keep your head humming way after the final song feeds right back into the first track. Definitely one of my favorite albums of last year.
Arcade Fire- Funeral 2004 The best album of 2004 and possibly one of Canada's most promising acts to date. Arcade Fire put out Funeral in 2004 and blew people's minds. Their anthemic, war marching cries, hoots and hollers lead by 15 odd instruments makes every song by definition, Epic. I am sure most of you have heard this album, but I just recently revisited it and realized how solid of an album it is. A fresh breathe of air in indie music, it was. Start on track one and I dare you to skip a track. Great from start to finish- It's surely a record to be remembered over the next couple decades.
Why?- Alopecia My Favorite Album of 2008- A sketched-out all night binder mix of "indie hip-hop" flavored paranoia, dressed in organic guitar progressions and drums-this album from start to finish is something to write home about. It takes you to a dank, empty-stomached, glassy-eyed part of your mind that makes you feel every line that Yonnie Wolf says/sings. If Edgar Alan Poe was listening to anything while scribbling down, "Tell-Tale Heart", I think it was Why?- Alopecia. Best album of the year. Hands Down. If you don't like it the first time, play it again jerk.
Discovery- LP 2009An interesting endeavor for Vampire Weekend's keyboardist and RaRa Riot's lead singer. At times it feels like it might just be a crappy 2007 R&B tune because of it's over use of the autotune effect, but it has it's moments. It's nothing new, but it can be fun to listen to. I have a feeling some of you will hate it and some will enjoy parts of it. Either way, give it a listen. I don't have much to say about this one, I've only listened to it once, but two things I do know- The Jackson 5 cover, I Want You Back, is a good tune and the track "It's Not My Fault (It's My Fault)" is a blatant Hot Chip rip -off, but that's fine I still like it.
It was as I expected. A great set of early recordings by Jim James (Lead singer/guitarist or My Morning Jacket). Haunting Reverb circa Tennessee Fire, and George Harrison tunes prove to be an eerily beautiful combination. A must have for Yim Yames fans.
My Morning Jacket-ZA refreshing rock/soul album from 2004. The opening track gives me chills to this day. Jim James's angelic hooting and hollering in "Wordless Chorus" can bring you to your knees in the right situation. "Lay Low" boasts one of my favorite MMJ moments, the outro guitar riff, building on itself like a wave of piercing, reverberating dirtiness- rolling over each other to culminate into an Epic rock moment for 2004. I highly recommend this album. Try "Tennessee Fire" for a change of pace after "Z".
French Composer Yann Tiersen created a childhood flashback of sorts-to a fantasy world, where toys in the attic rise from their dusty trunks and come to life. At least thats what I picture when I listen to this album. It's subtle quirkiness is masterfully composed to put a smile on a child's face and impress elitists. It's truly a masterpiece that will surely leave you googling Yann Tiersen as you listen, smiling, like a child.
Girls-Album (2009)Camera Obscura- My Maudlin Career If your girlfriend always asks you why you don't listen to many female singers and you can't come up with a reason, maybe they aren't powerful enough singers, maybe its too cheesy, maybe I just can't get into female singers; this album will satisfy their queries. I once had a hard time listening to modern female singers, but the likes of CSS, Santigold and Camera Obscura amongst others have change my perception. This is a fantastic album, her neutral toned voice mixes perfectly with the lazy, dreamy sound of the band. This is their latest album, I had not given any of there older records a chance, but recently listened to an older one and liked it as well, can't think of the name right now. But this is a great album. Check it out.
Hey Brock,
ReplyDeleteIt's Brad. I used to live up the street from you when you lived in Germantown. I'm sure you remember.
It's so random that you just decided to go to Thailand. I'm in Osaka Japan right now. I'll be here until January of next year. I'm finishing up a master's in international business so I'm spending a year in Japan. I've gotta say, I can relate to the blog. If you're experience is anything like mine, you'll feel all those ranges of emotions you mentioned earlier and then some. I think the hardest thing to deal with in Japan is twofold, the language barrier and the ethnocentricity. Having so many people in one country who are so strongly convinced of their preconceived notions of the rest of the world is definitely an interesting experience, and communicating with them is an uphill battle often, but it really makes you cherish the people you meet with open hearts and minds along the way. I have lots of traveller type friends in Japan who've been to thailand, and I've heard nothing but rave reviews. I'm hoping to do a little 2 month world tour on my way back from Japan that includes Thailand or vietnam, Sweden (to visit a few friends), and China (to see the economic development there first hand). If I'm ever in south east asia, I'll give you a ring. If you get the urge to take a detour to the land of the rising sun, I've got a futon for you and your lady friend =P. Anyway, have a great trip man, email me and let me know you got this.
Brad
bradleytpope@gmail.com